Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Diabetes Rant

Are you ready?

Now I am an *ahem* passionate (some say opinionated) person, and if I am comfortable with you, I am not shy about sharing. I can be rude, but I try so so hard to keep my emotions in check. Part of my problem is that I consider myself a very intelligent and knowledgeable person. Another part is that I am an "old soul" (as my mother put it), so while others look at me and see an almost-25-year-old, I feel much older and wiser than that (or at least more so than the average 25yo). I do not appreciate being spoken down to- nothing riles me up faster.

Today at the endocrinologist's (diabetes dr) office, I met with the new dietitian to discuss duh, my diet, and we talked about what I can do better. I need to eat 7g protein with every meal, I need to eat more fiber (and then subtract any amount greater than 5g from the total carbohydrates), I need to eat more vegetables (but not like corn or potatoes), I need to eat less processed food, I need to eat less empty carbs (sorry pringles), I need to reach for a kashi bar instead of a chips ahoy when I'm hungry, the list went on and on. Louis does not know what he's in for, because if I'm eating this way, so will he!

At the end I tell her that I'm interested in getting a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). This is something that will check my blood sugar or blood glucose (BG) 24 hours a day so I will always know what my BG is and which direction it's going. I feel like I'm going to need to write another post to explain all the ins and outs of diabetes, but for now know that my target BG is 90-120. My average is 160, and we're aiming for an average of <150. 3 months ago my average BG was 200. I've done a lot of work, but there are still times when my BG is 300, and times when it's 30 (neither of which are ok). Anyway she says ok, lets sign you up for the pre-test, which basically involves wearing a CGM for a few days to see if you're a good candidate. EXCEPT they only put them on on Wednesdays at 3. AND they take them off Mondays at 3. BUT the next available date is July 13th.

I get a little anxious because that's a month away and at least a whole 'nother month that I am "uncontrolled". And I get a little teary eyed (everything about this disease is emotional for me) and then she tells me, "It's ok, we have plenty of time. We can get it there, you just have to work a little harder." Now I know she meant well and was trying to comfort me, but really?!? I would like to talk to someone who actually has diabetes for a minute and get some actual encouragement and feedback. Oh wait, I have my dad.  Daddy knows better than anyone else what this is like and he has battled (yes battled) diabetes for 52 years.  When I told him my latest BG average (called an A1c), he was so proud and so excited and "a little less worried about [me]".

Moral of the story?  Adios Taco Bueno!  And most of the other unhealthy things I love.  And I'm going to have to spend more time in the kitchen.  And I've got to kick my next A1c in the pants and prove to her that I am working hard.  And I hope they find a cure soon, because though my children are no more likely than a non-diabetic's to get diagnosed, my children will still be carriers, and I would be beside myself if one of them, or one of my grandchildren, was to go through what I go through every minute of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad you wrote this because I have been curious about talking to you about this since our teaser chat on Sunday. I've got to tell you one thing - YOU CAN DO THIS. Totally. I know one more month is so frustrating, but it will be completely worth it in the end. My dad has done SO much better on his CGM than ever before. He actually counts carbs and has apps for his iPhone (yes, he's that cool) to look up carbs when he goes out to eat. He uses more of the technology on his pump, too, that can give him the right amount of insulin. He had always been giving too much! And we didn't know this until he went on the CGM. Craziness. Moral of the long comment story: you can do this. It's worth it. You're a rock star.

    ReplyDelete