Friday, August 15, 2014

The Man Who Got Me Pregnant

This isn't going to be about who you think, since I'm not talking about Louis. Now Louis is my baby daddy, obviously. But the man who really did the work to help us conceive is our ob/gyn, Hampton Richards.

I just want to give him a quick plug in case you happen to be in the market for an incredibly compassionate, optimistic, proactive, and empathetic doctor. He is patient with my lists of questions (asks me every time if I have questions, knowing that's how I roll). He is a good communicator, with very good bedside manner, and makes you feel so at ease. He remembers Louis & Carter's names every time. He is a third generation doctor (he works with his dad!), born and raised Texan, whose residency was at Northwestern (not too shabby).

The day we found out we miscarried he had squeezed me in, then shorted his own lunch break to sit with me and oh so gently explain everything. I seriously cannot imagine having to give people that news and he did it in the best way possible. 

He and his wife had their own share of fertility issues and were blessed with twin boys after ivf. He's been there. He understands the stress and emotional toll this process takes. 

He has two nurses who are both incredible. They call me back within a couple hours, often sooner. They are super efficient and they seem to have good communication with him, so they always know what's going on.

The office staff is also super nice and patient. His gynecology office is located across from the hospital (so free parking for yearly visits, yay) and for ob visits you move across the street to the hospital. His perinatologist is Brian Rinehart, whom we saw with Carter and is very kind and always put our mind at ease. (Calmed me down the day I scheduled an emergency appointment because I could tell my placenta was deteriorating and he agreed and told me I would be meeting my son the next day.)

After spending almost 9 years with my previous obgyn, I am sad I didn't find dr. Richards sooner! I never felt as comfortable, as positive, as clear about what was being done, or as cared for and about. I know that seeing a male obgyn isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Dr. Richards is seriously worth any initial weirdness!

Next: Dear Baby Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment