Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My low-light reel

So all over Pinterest and Facebook lately I have seen graphics like these:


Which must mean a lot of people need the reminder, including myself!

I definitely have times where I cut myself off from Facebook (see: http://thepalaciospensieve.blogspot.com/2013/03/lintfacebooklent.html) because I find myself discontent with my own life as a result of what others post.

I try, on my own wall, to post things with a healthy balance of encouragement, humor, and realism, without too much negativity or bragging. I don't want anyone (including my child one day) to think he is anything but the best thing I've ever done, regardless of temper tantrums, short naps, or failed meals. I also don't want anyone to think he or I are perfect, because that is far from true. 

Recently I read this blog post (http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2014/06/stop-apologizing-already/) and even though her point was a little different, the gist was so similar to thoughts I had been having over the last few days. I decided to snap a few photos and show you my low-light reel, because stressing about a messy house and dirty laundry aren't why God blessed us with a house and plenty of clothes to wear!

Still not unpacked from Chicago... (I actually did finish unpacking last night!)

All three baskets have clean clothes that need to be folded/hung up/put away!

Because those three baskets are already full, this is the mound of laundry growing in our bathroom... 

This is Carter's playroom. And it is this messy almost constantly. Pinterest worthy, right?

This is our sink, which only looks this way because this morning I spent 45 minutes unloading, reloading, and running the dishwasher, which should have happened when the load finished, two days ago...

I'm not saying we shouldn't clean our houses or worry about such things, but we have to give ourselves a break sometimes! Everybody has something that falls through the cracks every once in awhile. We cannot always keep all of our balls up in the air, that is exhausting. As a follow up to my last post, for me, part of "living in the moment" is keeping my house clean enough that I can enjoy it and not be stressed, but not worrying about making it "perfect". We've lived here for 364 days and there is one (1) curtain hung (Carter's room). I still have a box I haven't unpacked. My bathroom is still not organized enough to be as functional as it should. I still have two crates full of pictures and wall art that need to find a home on the walls. I have bought things for projects that I haven't even started. 

BUT. My little guy is happy. We all have comfy beds to sleep in at night. We have food in the fridge. I can have the house ready for guests in about an hour. We love each other, love the Lord, and are loved by him in return. So everything else is just noise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment